Home
Notre Dame has purchased the former Regina High School building.
share

Notre Dame Announces Purchase of Former Regina High School

Notre Dame College President Andrew P. Roth has announced that the College’s board of directors has approved the purchase of the former Regina High School at 1857 South Green Road. Established in 1953, the all-girls high school graduated its last class in June 2010.

The College has been operating part of the former high school since last August when it secured a one-year lease to allow time for negotiating a purchase agreement. Many people affiliated with Regina have strong feelings about the school and its closing; representatives of both the College and the Sisters of Notre Dame have diligently and conscientiously worked together in a way that preserves respect for the legacy of the high school, its alumnae, and the Sisters.

Short-term plans include relocating employees who have been housed in rented off-campus offices, expanding the number of classrooms and labs, accommodating faculty offices, and using the Regina gymnasium and auditorium to augment the College’s resources for the demands for larger meeting accommodations and other special events. Significant growth of the College since 2001 forced it to house some employees in rented properties off campus.

Longer-term plans for renovating and re-purposing the Regina property could take as long as five to seven years. The College will soon begin fundraising efforts to secure private money to help with updating the building and will pursue many options for future uses that will enhance the College’s goal of being one of the finest colleges in the Great Lakes Region.

Acquisition of the Regina property adds slightly over eight acres to the College’s existing 53-acre footprint and affords first-time frontage on South Green Road for the campus that is bounded by South Green, College and Golfway roads in South Euclid. This will be significant in establishing an appropriate entranceway to the campus, an important feature that has been lacking.

Regina High School was founded by the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1953 and at its peak served just over 1,000 students. There were 217 students enrolled in October 2009 when the school’s board of directors announced its closing, citing the economic downturn, demographic shifts, inadequate endowment funds, and declining enrollment.

Notre Dame College has worked with Regina this academic year to develop a unique transition program that allows girls who are seniors in Regina’s class of 2011 to finish high school at the College. The Ohio Department of Education issued Regina a one-year charter as a grade 12 high school, and Notre Dame faculty members who hold high school certification volunteered to teach the courses required for high school graduation.

An additional benefit to this arrangement is that while the students are taking senior year high school classes at Notre Dame College, they can at the same time earn up to 30 college credits in that one year, a tremendous value for parents and students.