For Students with Learning Differences
About Academic Accommodations: Students with documented learning disabilities who enroll at Notre Dame College have many services available to make attaining a college education possible. They may choose basic 504 services for free, or they may choose a structured, fee-based package of services that go beyond basic accommodations.
The Mission of the Academic Support Center is to provide quality educational opportunities and support services above and beyond those required by law to individuals with documented learning disabilities who are traditionally under-served in post secondary education. The mission of the Academic Support Center parallels the mission of Notre Dame College which is to educate a diverse population in liberal arts for personal, professional, and global responsibility.
What will the Academic Support Center offer you?
- Individual tutoring appointments with degreed professionals; four hours a week recommended but more appointments available if needed.
- Weekly individual appointment with a Learning Specialist.
- Transfer to Action Support Group meetings with The Cleveland Clinic.
- Career services specifically geared to individuals with a learning difference including resume writing, interviewing skills and job search techniques.
- Workshops on time management, study skills, organizational skills, reading comprehension, and adaptive equipment.
- Supervised study halls.
- Mid-term progress reports.
- Individual recognition of achievements at Awards Day presentation.
- Quarterly newsletter.
- Monthly social events.
- Summer Springboard to Success, a 5 session study skills workshop (additional charge required).
The ASC is open from:
- Monday- Thursday 8am-8pm
- Friday- 8am-4:30pm
- Saturday- 11 am-3pm
- Sunday- 1pm-4pm
Services offered based on Individual Documentation (free of charge):
- Distraction-free environment for test taking.
- Note-taking assistance.
- Extended time for completing tests.
- Alternative testing format.
- Use of a scribe.
- Taping of class lectures.
- Class materials provided in print.
- Use of adaptive equipment.
The services provided by the Academic Support Center are structured and comprehensive thus enabling a student with a documented learning disability to succeed in college. Prior to being admitted to the Center the student must meet the admission requirements of Notre Dame College. To participate in the Academic Support Center, you must be a full-time traditional student, and you must submit documentation of a Learning Disability. This documentation must include a psycho-educational evaluation that has been conducted within the last three years. Refer to web link on documentation.
The Academic Support Center
Location: 2nd floor of the Regina Complex at Notre Dame College
- Gretchen Walsh, M.S. Ed., Director: 216.373.5185, email@example.com
- Gina Flynn, Senior Assistant Director: 216.373.5184, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Molly Pifer, Assistant Director: 216.373.5184, email@example.com
- Nick Formica, Admissions Counselor: 216.373.5176, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica Kaluga, ASC Services Coordinator: 216.373.5305, email@example.com
We welcome all visitors!
The Academic Support Center is accepting applications from students who are interested in the program.
Please contact Gretchen Noetzel Walsh at 216.373.5185 for more information, to set up an appointment or to sign up.
Select this link to view announcement (ASCJanuary2006.pdf, 718KB).
To view PDF files of our ASC Newsletter for the Academic Support Center, select the following links:
ASC Newsletter - Fall 2014 (3 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Fall II 2014 (3 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Summer 2014 (2 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Spring ll 2014 (280 KB)
ASC Newsletter - Spring 2014 (261 KB)
ASC Newsletter - Fall II 2013 (2.3 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Fall 2013 (2.1 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Summer 2013 (3.40 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Winter 2013 (2.13 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Winter 2012 (34 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Summer 2012 (1.5 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Spring 2012 (1.7 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Late Fall 2011 (1.7 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Fall 2011 (3 MB)
ASC Newsletter - Spring 2011 (1MB)
ASC Newsletter - Winter 2011 (1.93MB)
ASC Newsletter - Fall 2010 (793KB)
ASC Newsletter- August 2010 (2.11MB)
ASC Newsletter- Spring 2010 (1.19MB)
ASC Newsletter- Fall 2009 (353KB)
ASC Newsletter- August 2009 (381KB)
ASC Newsletter - Spring 2009 (382KB)
ASC Newsletter - Fall 2008 (89KB)
ASC Newsletter - Winter 2008 (114KB)
ASC Newsletter - November 7, 2007 (108KB)
ASC Newsletter - Fall 2007 (125KB)
ASC Newsletter - Spring 2007 (74KB)
ASC Newsletter - January 2007 (109KB)
ASC Newsletter- Fall 2006 (102KB)
ASC Newsletter- April 2006 (39KB)
ASC Newsletter- February 2006 (60KB)
To view information about the Academic Support Center or to apply, select the following PDF file links: